Home About Us Merritt's story Omphalocele Contact Me

Thursday, April 12, 2012

That's something.

I'm a little hesitant to share these, mainly because they are SO weird looking.  And I don't want to scare anyone.  Remind yourself that this baby is only 22 weeks gestation in these pics = not full term yet!  Just to help you out:  she is upright in these photos and you can see 1 foot on the right propped up (yes, she has legs).   I agree that she looks like a little alien here.  Interesting and a little scary.  But I think its neat that I can show her these one day.

The written MRI report said that 80% of the O sac was liver.  The rest is gallbladder and intestines. Her stomach is being pulled/stretched into the sac (but still considered inside right now).  You can see the O sac protruding from her belly in most of the pics.  It was measuring 3.3 x 3.2 cm.  If you have any questions, leave a comment or email me.  The nurse emailed me only 8 out of the (I think I understood there to have been) hundreds taken.  I would like to crop "myself" out of these, but I wouldn't dare try to crop these.  :)  Enjoy and hope these don't gross anyone out!!! lol!  If these bother you, I suggest you not look at the pictures after she is born.  I decided I will post her O "unwrapped/undressed" if they let me take those pictures, but they are not for the faint.  








doesn't this last one look like she's praying? Maybe its just me.  

3 comments:

Heather said...

Yes...It does. Maybe she is. Very Cool Pictures to have!! So much clearer than Ultrasound Pic's.

Unknown said...

This is totally cool!

CaroM said...

Carrie, I read your comment on my blog (Tobias-o-story). I think the MRI pictures are really cool, I had never seen O pictures like this. The ultrasound ones are always a little bit blurry.
I also wanted to say I am glad the pictures in my blog helped you a little bit. I don't know if you have read my early posts, so in case you haven't: tobias' o contained about half of his liver and half intestines and was considered large. However, when he was born, he had already some skin starting to grow in the base of his O, about 1/4 o the way up (or so my husband said). That extra skin helped to have a complete skin closure at birth, together with some partial muscle closure. the idea before that was to do a silo, but the surgeon decided if she could close the o even if just with skin, that was good enough. We were very happy with that, instead of the silo. I am sorry I am posting this here, I couldn't find your e-mail address and just wanted to answer some of your questions. Oh, and the reason why I never saw his o was because they covered it as soon as he was born to avoid loss of fluids and infection. My husband saw it just briefly from the distance during my c-section. Hope this helps and good luck with everything!