Home About Us Merritt's story Omphalocele Contact Me

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Genetics!

Every Genetics appointment with Merritt, my mind instantly went back to my college genetics class.  Chromosomes are just insanely interesting to me.   Its like a map of who you are physically!  Dr. F has been following her since she was born.  The amnio I had done when I was 20 weeks pregnant could only detect the major chromosome abnormalities.  There were several other syndromes that we had to wait for a blood test to prove after she was born.  

What a way to celebrate this Thanksgiving:  she is normal!  

(we thought that all along, but to get verified blood proof of it is still amazing).  

I've been sweating the last 4 weeks just a little bit, because you can't change chromosomes.  They can put organs back inside a body, they can even fix a hole in your heart, but they can't fix chromosomes.  And that's always scary to me.  

Anyway - I hope everyone has a fantastic Thanksgiving.  For once I feel like Merritt's "rough beginnings" are coming to an end.  I know her journey is ongoing - but maybe we're finding a new peace and a new normal now.  

We have so much to be thankful for I can't even begin to list them all.  Mostly, I am thankful for the Mighty Healer, Our God.  My heart goes out to all of you who are still praying for some sort of healing, whether its physical or emotional, etc.  I will pray for you.  I am reminded of Mercy Me's song "The Hurt and the Healer".  It reminds me that things could have turned out differently, and I will be forever changed, grateful, and thankful.  

"O come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.  Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms."  Psalm 95:1-2

GOBBLE GOBBLE!  her 1st Thanksgiving.  (9lbs12oz.)

post signature

No comments: