Home About Us Merritt's story Omphalocele Contact Me

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

5 month Update

5 months old. wow.  I'm sure most of you who know me, know that I am already planning her birthday party next summer.  unbelievable.  course I know that a plan can go out the window in a second... but alas, i.am.a.planner.

Mattox and Merritt have both been very sick this past week.  
Mattox: vomiting, low and high fever, and just overall not feeling well.  He is getting his 2 year molars as I type.  Runny nose and cough didn't start until recently.   
Merritt: low fever, horrible cough, nasal and chest congestion.  We've been suctioning her nose like crazy because she can't breathe to eat... so she has lost weight this week. :(

5 month update!  At one point last week, she was up to 10 lbs. 9 oz, but the official weigh in yesterday (due to illness) was 10 lbs 1 oz.  She wears 0-3 month clothes (and the pants she has on the picture below are newborn size).   Wears size 1 diaper.  Never sleeps more than 4 hours usually.  

The cardiologist told us we could cut out her Lasix (diuretic) for her heart, but honestly - I think she just feels better when I give it to her.  I only give it to her once a day instead of twice, but she sleeps better and is just overall happier on those days.  Course I only have a tiny bit left.

She's very happy when she feels good - a definite SMILEY MILEY.  These pics don't reflect that, but this is as good as it got since she's been sick and can't stop coughing.



I am posting a link to a video that I posted on Facebook as well.  An O baby made national news on the TODAY show this past Sunday.  Its so great to see this little girl get recognition for her battle.. and she won.  She finally got to leave the hospital.  This little girl is what we expected Merritt to be like.  We fully expected months in the hospital, many surgeries, G tube and a trach, etc... We are all blessed beyond measure.  These parents have my upmost respect for what they have had to endure and how they stuck with her when most people would have given up on her.  

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50135736

Happy 5 months!  Although Merritt doesn't let me sleep much, I am counting my blessings = we are home.  she is breastfeeding.  she is gaining and growing.  she is tube free.  she has no other issues at the moment besides reflux.  and she's about to celebrate her first Christmas.   it doesn't get any better than that!

post signature

2 comments:

Sara said...

Such a sweet smile!

Erica said...

What blessings for this this Christmas! So much to celebrate and be thankful for. Such a beautiful family.

Thinking of you, as always!
xox