Home About Us Merritt's story Omphalocele Contact Me

Friday, March 23, 2012

Rollercoaster

How did we get here?

We went from so many unknowns and what-ifs and possibilities and options TO "its just an omphalocele."

I am truly amazed at what God does.  Just when I start to doubt Him and doubt myself --- He shows Himself.  He performs miracles.  He answers prayers.  And if I ever doubt Him or His faithfulness -- I will remind myself of days like today.  There is no luck involved, or coincidence, or irony, or insanely weird timing ------  there is only God and His son, Jesus Christ.

We had our echo appointment today to check out baby Merritt's heart with Dr. S.  She found NO heart defects at all.  And the icing on the cake (to me) was the fact that it won't change... she can't develop a heart defect later.  Every other appointment's good news always coincided with the possibility of her developing something else or something changing from week to week.  So I was very pleased to hear "that won't change."  I needed to hear something concrete.  I will have an MRI next to see if they are missing anything, but as of now I will no longer see Dr. P - because -- get this -- "it's just an omphalocele."  Dr. S said I would have more problems over the next 2 years with feeding Merritt, than the omphalocele.  These babies don't/can't/won't eat because of their messed up intestines therefore they don't gain wait therefore they stay in the hospital longer with prolonged complications.  (possibly.)  And given my kids' history with feeding - we don't have a good track record.  lol!   I got more upset over not seeing Dr. P anymore! I looooove Dr. P! And I might go into withdrawal if I don't get my ultrasound every other week.  ;)  He made me laugh when all I wanted to do was cry. And I won't see Dr. S again until after baby is born.  They are transferring me to  ______?????______

Matt texted my mom while I was driving home and we thought it was weird that she didn't respond over news like that.  We got home and she called to tell me that my Papaw had passed away in his sleep today.  My grandmother was suppose to have her heart surgery today, but they had to reschedule for next week.  Keep her in your prayers also.  Even though you see things like this coming in the future, it's always still a shock when it actually happens.  I am thankful that he appears to have gone peacefully and he was definitely ready to go home.  It has been an emotional day to say the least.  While his heart was fading, Merritt's was getting stronger.  My other grandfather died when I was 9, so Papaw was really the only grandfather I ever had.  He will be missed.

Thank you for the continuous prayers.  I am blown away by all the cards, emails, phone calls, and texts from people telling me they are praying for my family.  It means so much to us - and God has definitely heard them!  He is the Almighty.  He gives me strength when I don't think I have anything left in me.

My fellow pregnant friend (whom I love dearly and has listened to me complain over the last 5 months)  said she could see Miss Merritt decked out in the NICU in a stylin' hat and booties singing to herself "I Will Survive."  Well, she's got the wave down.  Thanks for that laugh, C!!!



..............."Hey Hey"!!!!!...............


1 comment:

MAK said...

Carrie, you don't know me and I don't know you but I stumbled across your blog from Erin's awhile back. Just wanted to let you know I've been praying for yall and I'm so glad to hear all the good news and answered prayers. My grandfather was in the hospital with some heart problems a couple of weeks ago and your husband came in to pray for him when I was up there visiting. When he introduced himself I thought that name sounded so familiar and I asked if his wife's name was Carrie. He said yes and I told him I had been praying for yall and your baby. I thought it was so neat that God orchestrated that and I could meet someone I'd been praying for! Also, I saw yalls christmas card in Dr T-steads office when I was there one day. So random! I know yall still have a long road ahead but be encouraged that you are being prayed for!